The Purpose of this Blog

I've been readings thousands of blogs and sites about Russian cuisine looking for accurate recipes, and the more I read, the more frustrated I became. Thus, I decided to create my own blog for Americans who want to cook Russian dishes and help them enjoy Russian cuisine by providing accurate recipes. I use US measuring cups and measuring spoons. Moreover, I cook every dish I suggest following my recipe instructions to ensure that the amount of each ingredient is accurate and instructions are not only accurate but easy to follow. It's catered to Americans who understand that if I say 1 tbsp, they're supposed to use a measuring tablespoon, not a regular silverware

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Golubtsy - Cabbage Rolls





Golubtsy - Cabbage Rolls


There are lots of recipes for cabbage rolls. Some add rice to meat and use tomato paste instead of ketchup. Some fry onions with tomato paste and add grated carrots. Since I’m trying to cut calories from every recipe, as Russian cuisine is pretty rich as other European cuisines, I don’t use rice or carrots, though I prefer ketchup to tomato paste, as it adds sweetness to the dish.
Cabbage Rolls
Cabbage – 1 head
Ground beef – 1.5 lbs
Egg – 1
Onion – 2 big (sweet)
Ketchup – 2 cups
Salt – 2 tsp
Pepper – 1/2 tsp
Vegetable oil – 2 tbsp
Sour cream – optional for serving
Boil cabbage, take the center out and divide into leaves. Leave 3 cups cabbage liquid.
Mix meat with salt, pepper, egg, finely chopped onion (1), and ketchup (1 cup)
Add the mixture into the center of a cabbage leaf, roll the cabbage leaf, repeat until you are out of meat, put the rolls in a pan, add 3 cups of cabbage liquid (left over from cabbage boiling), and boil for 1 hr. If you have any cabbage left, you may add it on top of cabbage rolls. Meanwhile, fry 1 finely chopped onion without oil on high for 5 min, add 1 cup of ketchup and sauté with ketchup until soft (~ 15 min). After cabbage rolls have been boiling for an hour, add onions with ketchup to cabbage rolls and boil another 30 min. Serve with sour cream (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment