The Purpose of this Blog

I've been readings thousands of blogs and sites about Russian cuisine looking for accurate recipes, and the more I read, the more frustrated I became. Thus, I decided to create my own blog for Americans who want to cook Russian dishes and help them enjoy Russian cuisine by providing accurate recipes. I use US measuring cups and measuring spoons. Moreover, I cook every dish I suggest following my recipe instructions to ensure that the amount of each ingredient is accurate and instructions are not only accurate but easy to follow. It's catered to Americans who understand that if I say 1 tbsp, they're supposed to use a measuring tablespoon, not a regular silverware

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mushroom Soup

Mushroom soup made of dry mushrooms

Mushroom soup made of baby Bella fresh mushrooms

Here's the blend of dry mushrooms I use

Mushroom Soup

Ingredients:
7 ½ cup water
2 ½ cup dry mushrooms (Gourmet Mushroom Blend  (Porcini, Morels, Brazilian, Ivory Portabellas, Shiitake, Oyster) – you can choose any other blend of mushrooms if you want to or substitute dry for fresh Baby Bella mushrooms – then use 16 oz and cut boiling to half of recommended time)
Salt – 2 tsp
Peppercorns – 1 tsp
Dill weed – 2 tsp
Bay leaf – 4
Sweet onion – 1 and ¼ of medium
Butter – 2 tbsp
Potatoes – 2 medium **
Boil mushrooms with all the ingredients (use ¼ onion), except for potatoes and butter. Discard peppercorns, bay leaf, onion, and dill after mushrooms are done (boil for ~ 1 hr).
Meanwhile, finely chop 1 medium onion and brown it in a frying pan: *To brown onion, put it into the frying pan without any oil or butter, and fry it on high constantly stirring. Once it’s browned, add butter, reduce to low  and sauté until onion is tender ~ 1 min.
After mushrooms are done, cube 2 medium potatoes, add to mushrooms, and boil until potatoes are soft ~ 15-20 min. Add onion and butter. Serve it hot with sour cream.
**Note: You can substitute potatoes with egg vermicelli  ~ 1-1.5 cups and add vermicelli once mushrooms are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment